Resident applicant selection criteria is as follows:
- Highest priority is given to graduates of LCME-accredited medical schools.
- To be eligible for selection, applicants must apply via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) by December 31, 2015, and must be enrolled in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- All applicants must have 3 letters of recommendation from U.S. or Canadian physicians.
- All applicants must be within 3 years of graduation from medical school.
- All applicants must have a minimum of 3 months of U.S. or Canadian direct patient care activity. Externships must have included direct patient care. Observerships do not fulfill this requirement.
- The selection process stringently evaluates performance on the USMLE examinations, grades in preclinical or clinical courses, letters of recommendation, communication skills, and personal qualities.
- We do not have a minimum score requirement for the USMLE or COMLEX, but strongly favor applicants with USMLE scores of 220 or COMLEX scores of 550 or greater on the first attempt.
- We accept COMLEX in lieu of USMLE.
- The Department of Internal Medicine does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation.