The Pediatric Residency Program at Greenville Children’s Hospital, much like the city of Greenville itself, is a hidden gem in the Southeast. When people who are not familiar with Greenville come to visit for the first time, they are amazed at the rare combination of cultural, entertainment and quality of life offerings for a city of this size.
Similarly, our residency offers a wonderful blend of community-based primary care and academic tertiary care within the same program. Our program functions within Greenville Health System (GHS), which started as a community hospital and has become one of the state’s top three academic medical centers. We are also a teaching site for the University Of South Carolina School Of Medicine Greenville.
The residency program is a cornerstone of the Department of Pediatrics. Its balance of academics and community-based care has allowed our department to attract general pediatricians and pediatric subspecialists from premier programs across the country. We strive to extend this balance to our residency program at all levels.
A Balanced Approach
- Supportive environment with progressive autonomy
- Work hard / Play hard model where training and wellness are both valued
- Three Residency Tracks based on career paths but enough flexibility to personalize your training
(Even if you change your mind in the middle!)
- Time divided similarly between inpatient and outpatient rotations
- Gain comfort with “bread and butter” pediatric cases while still caring for the rare “zebras”
- Mix of Well Child and Newborn visits plus early critical care and complex patient exposure
- Training by a dedicated group of faculty within general pediatrics and 29 pediatric medical and surgical specialties
- Structured learning environment with proven board exam pass success as well as innovative medical student and peer teaching opportunities
- Think global and act local through international rotations and numerous advocacy projects
- Build a life in Greenville- a Small Town Community feel with Big City Opportunities
This broad-based training approach prepares our residents to choose from a wide array of career options. Our recent graduates are a perfect reflection of our training, and have been successful in general practice, academic practice and subspecialty fellowships. In addition, our balanced curriculum yields well-educated physicians.
Diversity is both a strength and a priority of our program. We have residents from across the United States and beyond. The class size of eleven residents allows a mixing of backgrounds and ideas, yet is small enough to allow the development of familiarity and close friendships. As with all residencies, the training is intense and challenging, but our program focuses on providing a supportive and nurturing environment. Our residents regularly get together outside of the hospital, for both educational and recreational activities.
We hope that you will take the opportunity to visit our program, meet our faculty, speak with our residents and explore our city. We think you’ll enjoy discovering all the facets of our hidden gem.
Matt Grisham, M.D.
Amanda Hartke, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Program Director
Mark Krom, D.O.
Associate Program Director