This fellowship will prepare primary care physicians to become leaders in the field of sports medicine. Graduates from our fellowship program practice in both academic and community settings and are prepared to be:
- Residency/Fellowship Faculty
- Team physicians for professional, collegiate and high school athletes
- A Sports Medicine Consultant in Private Practice
- Non-operative specialist in an Orthopedic Practice
- A Team Physician: Professional, collegiate and high school levels.
- Physician for a College Infirmary-Student Health Center
- Clinician Researcher
At the completion of this fellowship program, the fellow will:
- Diagnose and manage medical illnesses and injuries associated with sports and exercise.
- Demonstrate an appropriate sports/exercise related history.
- Perform appropriate injury specific examinations.
- Order and interpret appropriate laboratory, radiographic and other diagnostic imaging and exercise physiologic testing.
- Perform and interpret musculoskeletal ultrasound for diagnostic purposes and utilization for ultrasound-guided injections.
- Demonstrate appropriate use of treatment modalities including:
- Directed physiotherapy
- Intra-articular injection
- Casting and splinting
- Durable medical equipment
- Exercise prescription writing
- Pharmacologic therapies
- Recognize circumstances needing sub-specialist or surgical referral.
Roles of a Team Physician
- Lead and organize the Sports Medicine Team at both the high school and collegiate levels including:
- Pre-participation examinations
- Training room clinics
- Event coverage
- Preparation for on-field emergencies
- Assist Team Physicians at the high school and collegiate levels.
- Establish and maintain effective physician-athletic trainer relationships.
- Maintain active membership in local, regional and national societies.
- Present and participate in weekly Sports Medicine Conferences.
- Teach athletes, parents, medical students, residents and physicians through talks, lectures and precepting.
- Present academic work at local, regional and national sport society meetings.
- Identify personal leadership skills and teaching abilities.