GHS does not maintain any formal internship deadlines. We recommend visiting this site weekly throughout the year to remain informed of newly announced opportunities.
Department: Clinical Pediatric Play Experience (Child Life)
Number of positions available: 2
- Location of internship: Greenville Memorial Hospital
- Approximate dates of internship: TBD – Spring
- Preferred days of the week: Monday – Sunday
- Preferred hours: Varies
Preferred degree program:
- Students currently enrolled in: Bachelor’s degree program
- With a concentration or focus in:
Description of internship position:
Intern will work within the child life department under the direct supervision of the child life assistant. Interns will gain basic experience and knowledge working with hospitalized children and use experience to pursue a career in the healthcare field.
1. Intern will obtain a general overview of the Child Life profession through designated hours with Certified Child Life Specialists
2. Intern will obtain a general overview of the different clinical areas within the children’s hospital
3. Intern will obtain basic foundational knowledge on hospital environment and day to day interactions among patients, families and the interdisciplinary team
4. Intern will participate in developmentally appropriate play at the bedside and in the playroom under the direct supervision of the Child Life Assistant
5. Intern will be responsible for maintaining play spaces and upholding all infection control and Joint Commission standards
6. Intern will be exposed to different programs/departments within children’s hospital including, Volunteer Services, Pet Therapy/Facility Dogs, and Office of Philanthropy and Partnership
7. Intern will understand and participate in family centered care
8. Intern will have a basic understanding of working with hospitalized children and adapting play to a variety of medical and developmental needs
Is a stipend available? No
Is academic credit available? Not Sure
Notes to applicants:
This is NOT the equivalent to a child life practicum/internship or recreational therapy required clinical experience. This is designed for students wishing to gain experience working with children in the hospital environment prior to becoming a healthcare professional.