Prisma Health and MedEx Academy invite you to apply to the 2021 Nurse Extern Program. Our 10-week summer program, offered at both Prisma Health-Midlands and Prisma Health-Upstate locations, is designed to provide rising senior undergraduate nursing students with the opportunity for real-world immersion within acute care at a premier academic medical center. This program provides an opportunity for nursing students to improve their clinical knowledge and skills while establishing relationships with Prisma Health leaders. Prisma Health has one of the few Nurse Extern programs that provide participants a scholarship to assist with expenses throughout the summer, in addition to providing externs with clinical assignments and a variety of clinical enhancement experiences.
Apply to our 2021 Nurse Extern Program today!
Deadline for Nurse Extern applications: January 31, 2021 at 11:59p.m. EST
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Rising senior enrolled in an accredited Associate or Bachelor of Science nursing program
- Anticipated graduation date within 12 months of Extern Program Start Date (Dec. 2021 or May 2022)
- Successful completion of at least one clinical nursing course
- Cumulative collegiate GPA of at least 3.2
- Current AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
Prisma Health Nurse Externs will be assigned to a Registered Nurse mentor to gain valuable clinical knowledge and experiences. Clinical Enhancement Opportunities will be interwoven within each clinical assignment which may include access to specialty areas, exposure to nurses in advanced practice roles and other disciplines of the healthcare team.
- Program dates: Mid-May through the end of July
- Work week: 36 hours per week Clinical Rotation, shift may vary
- Prisma Health Preceptor: Externs are assigned to an RN Mentor for clinical assignment and work the schedule of that mentor to include any weekend or holidays as applicable
- Project Assignment: Complete a Clinical Practice Evidenced-based Investigation Project to investigate and present interests
- Scholarship: Awarded bi-weekly throughout the program
- Extras: Integrated support, education and simulation opportunities provided at no cost to extern