Greenville Health System (GHS) invites you to apply to the 2019 Nurse Extern Program. This program is designed to provide rising senior undergraduate nursing students with the opportunity for real-world immersion within acute care at a premier academic medical center. This program serves as a pipeline for nursing students who desire to improve their clinical knowledge, skills and establish relationships with GHS leaders. Our Nurse Extern program is a 12-week program running May 13th thru August 1st. Greenville Health system is one of the few Nurse Extern programs that provide participants a stipend to assist with expenses throughout the summer.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Rising senior enrolled in an accredited Bachelor of Science nursing program
- Anticipated graduation date within 12 months of Extern Program Start Date (Dec. 2019 or May 2020)
- Successful completion of at least one clinical nursing course
- Cumulative collegiate GPA of at least 3.2
- Current AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
GHS Nurse Externs have the opportunity for three “3” core clinical rotation assignments to include a high-acuity medical/surgical or telemetry unit and the choice of two clinical areas of student interest. Clinical Enhancement Opportunities will be interwoven within each clinical rotation which may include access to specialty areas, exposure to nurses in advanced practice roles and other disciplines of the healthcare team.
- Work week: 36 hours per week Clinical Rotation, shift may vary
- GHS Preceptor: Externs are assigned to an RN Mentor for each clinical rotation and work the schedule of that mentor to include any weekend or holidays as applicable
- Project Assignment: Complete a Clinical Practice Evidenced-based Investigation Project to investigate and present interests
- Stipend: Awarded at the four-week mark, eight-week mark and at program completion based on evaluation of Extern participation, performance and program completion
- Extras: Integrated support, education and simulation opportunities provided at no cost to extern