Due to our commitment to your safety, our patients and staff, Prisma Health is unable to continue with our Nurse Extern program for the upcoming summer session due to limitations with hospital access with the COVID-19 event.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused.
Prisma Health–Upstate, formerly known as Greenville Health System, invites you to apply to the 2020 Nurse Extern Program. Our 12-week summer program, running May 11th thru July 31st, is designed to provide rising senior undergraduate nursing students with the opportunity for real-world immersion within acute care at a premier academic medical center. This program serves as a pipeline of opportunity for nursing students who desire to improve their clinical knowledge, skills and establish relationships with Prisma Health leaders. Prisma Health–Upstate has one of the few Nurse Extern programs that provide participants a scholarship to assist with expenses throughout the summer, in addition to providing externs with “3” core clinical rotation assignments and a variety of clinical enhancement experiences.
Apply to our 2020 Nurse Extern Program today!
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Rising senior enrolled in an accredited Associate or Bachelor of Science nursing program
- Anticipated graduation date within 12 months of Extern Program Start Date (Dec. 2020 or May 2021)
- Successful completion of at least one clinical nursing course
- Cumulative collegiate GPA of at least 3.2
- Current AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
Prisma Health–Upstate Nurse Externs have the opportunity for three “3” core clinical rotation assignments to include a high-acuity medical/surgical or telemetry unit and the choice of two clinical areas of student interest. Clinical Enhancement Opportunities will be interwoven within each clinical rotation which may include access to specialty areas, exposure to nurses in advanced practice roles and other disciplines of the healthcare team.
- Work week: 36 hours per week Clinical Rotation, shift may vary
- Prisma Health Preceptor: Externs are assigned to an RN Mentor for each clinical rotation and work the schedule of that mentor to include any weekend or holidays as applicable
- Project Assignment: Complete a Clinical Practice Evidenced-based Investigation Project to investigate and present interests
- Scholarship: Awarded at the four-week mark, eight-week mark and at program completion based on evaluation of Extern participation, performance and program completion
- Extras: Integrated support, education and simulation opportunities provided at no cost to extern