Thank you for considering Prisma Health (Prisma Health–Upstate)/University of South Carolina (UofSC) School of Medicine Greenville for your visiting medical student rotation.
FYI: Greenville Health System (GHS) changed its name to Prisma Health–Upstate in January 2019.
Please visit the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to apply for all visiting rotations. The 2020-2021 elective catalog will be available for viewing on March 2, 2020. Applications will open March 16, 2020, and application decisions will start on April 15, 2020.
- Prisma Health–Upstate only accepts fourth-year visiting medical students from U.S. medical schools fully accredited by the LCME or COCA on a space-available basis.
- Prisma Health–Upstate does not accept any external third-year medical students for electives or core rotations.
- Visiting students must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing as a candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree at their home institution and must have completed all required core rotations prior to initiating elective work at Prisma Health–Upstate.
- Prisma Health–Upstate does not accept medical students enrolled in international medical schools.
2020-2021 Rotation Dates
Electives are offered on the following rotation dates depending on availability. Most electives are 4 weeks in duration, but Family Medicine and Psychiatry will offer some 2 week rotations within the blocks below. Prisma Health–Upstate/UofSC School of Medicine Greenville does NOT allow off-cycle rotations – there are ZERO exceptions.
- May 11 – June 5, 2020
- June 8 – July 3, 2020
- July 6 – July 31, 2020
- August 3 – August 28, 2020
- August 31 – September 25, 2020
- September 28 – October 23, 2020
- October 26 – November 20, 2020
- November 23 – December 18, 2020
- January 4 – January 29, 2021
Visiting Student Responsibilities
- Visiting students are responsible for their own personal health care costs and health insurance coverage.
- Visiting students are responsible for their own meals.
- Parking is provided.
- Scrubs are provided.
- Visiting students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements. Often, students are able to find short-term options at https://rotatingroom.com/ or https://www.hawthorneatthecarlyle.com/, but we encourage you to explore all options available.
- Visiting students who are unable to attend an approved elective are responsible for notifying Prisma Health–Upstate Student Affairs Administration and the clerkship coordinator regarding cancellation at least six weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
- Upon elective acceptance, additional information will be emailed to you regarding student orientation and clearance.