Thank you for considering Prisma Health (Prisma Health–Upstate)/University of South Carolina (UofSC) School of Medicine Greenville for your visiting medical student rotation. In January 2019, Greenville Health System (GHS) and Palmetto Health merged to become Prisma Health to better serve our communities in the Upstate and Midlands of SC.
This webpage is for Upstate rotations only. For Midlands rotations, visit: Prisma Health–Midlands Visiting Medical Students. Please visit the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to apply for all visiting rotations.
- The 2021-2022 elective catalog will be available for viewing on March 15, 2021.
- Applications will open April 15, 2021.
- Application decisions will start after May 1, 2021.
Prisma Health–Upstate only accepts fourth-year visiting medical students from U.S. medical schools fully accredited by the LCME or COCA. Prisma Health–Upstate does not accept any external third-year medical students for electives or core rotations. Visiting students must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing as a candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree at their home institution and must have completed all required core rotations prior to initiating elective work at Prisma Health–Upstate.
For Prisma Health’s current student COVID-19 protocol, visit: COVID-19 Student Protocol.
For medical student policies and procedures, such as Student Mistreatment, Radiation Safety, Exposure to Blood Borne Pathogens, etc., visit UofSC School of Medicine Greenville Policies & Procedures.
2021-2022 Rotation Dates
- space and availability of rotations at Prisma Health,
- program requirements in terms of Step 1 scores, pre-requisites, essays, etc.,
- if a student has had an opportunity to rotate in that specialty of interest at their home institution,
- if a student has an available residency program in that specialty of interest at their home institution,
- if a student has had previous rotations or future approved rotations in that specialty of interest,
- if an away rotation is required by the student’s home institution.
Electives are offered on the following dates depending on availability. Most electives are 4 weeks in duration, but Family Medicine will offer some 2 week rotations within the blocks below. Prisma Health–Upstate/UofSC School of Medicine Greenville does NOT allow off-cycle rotations – there are ZERO exceptions.
- August 16 – September 10, 2021
- September 13 – October 8, 2021
- October 11 – November 5, 2021
- November 8 – December 3, 2021 (All students off 11/25 and 11/26 for Thanksgiving Holiday)
- January 3 – 28, 2022
- January 31 – February 25, 2022
Visiting Student Responsibilities
- Visiting students are responsible for their own personal health care costs and health insurance coverage.
- Visiting students are responsible for their own meals.
- Parking is provided.
- Scrubs are provided.
- Visiting students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements. Often, students are able to find short-term options at https://rotatingroom.com/ or https://www.hawthorneatthecarlyle.com/, but we encourage you to explore all options available.
- Visiting students who are unable to attend an approved elective are responsible for notifying Prisma Health Student Affairs Administration and the clerkship coordinator regarding cancellation at least six weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
- Upon elective acceptance, additional information will be emailed to you regarding student orientation and clearance.
Health Sciences Center (HSC) Student Affairs Administration
605 Grove Road
Greenville, SC 29605