Thank you for considering Greenville Health System (GHS)/University of South Carolina (UofSC) School of Medicine Greenville for your visiting medical student rotation.
GHS has changed its name to Prisma Health–Upstate. This change is reflected in the text below and will be reflected in VSAS shortly.
Please visit the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to apply for all visiting rotations for the 2018-2019 academic year. Applications open March 15, 2019, and application decisions will start on April 15, 2019.
- Prisma Health–Upstate only accepts fourth-year visiting medical students from any United States medical school fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) on a space-available basis.
- Prisma Health–Upstate does not accept any external third-year medical students for electives or core rotations.
- Prisma Health–Upstate does not accept medical students enrolled in international medical schools.
- Visiting students must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing as a candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree at their home school and must have completed all required core rotations prior to initiating elective work at Prisma Health–Upstate.
- Electives are four weeks in duration.
- Prisma Health–Upstate/UofSC School of Medicine Greenville does not allow off-cycle rotations.
Visiting Student Responsibilities
- Visiting students are responsible for their own personal health care costs.
- Visiting students must provide current documentation of health insurance coverage.
- Visiting students are responsible for their own meals.
- Parking is provided for visiting medical students.
- Scrubs are provided for visiting medical students.
- Visiting students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements. Often, students are able to find short-term options at https://rotatingroom.com/ or https://www.hawthorneatthecarlyle.com/, but we encourage you to explore all options available.
- Visiting students who are unable to attend an approved elective are responsible for notifying Prisma Health–Upstate Student Affairs Administration and/or the clerkship coordinator regarding cancellation at least six weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
- If your elective is approved, additional information will be emailed to you regarding student orientation/clearance.