Thank you for considering Prisma Health (Prisma Health–Upstate)/University of South Carolina (UofSC) School of Medicine Greenville for your visiting medical student rotation.
In January 2019, Greenville Health System (GHS) and Palmetto Health merged to become Prisma Health to better serve our communities in the Upstate and Midlands of SC. Visiting medical students can rotate within Prisma Health at either Prisma Health–Upstate/UofSC School of Medicine Greenville or Prisma Health–Midlands/UofSC School of Medicine Columbia.
Please note: this webpage is for Upstate rotations only. For Midlands rotations, visit: Prisma Health–Midlands Visiting Medical Students.
Please visit the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to apply for all visiting rotations. In the Upstate, the 2020-2021 elective catalog will be available for viewing on March 2, 2020. Applications will open March 16, 2020, and application decisions will start after June 1, 2020 due to revisions of our academic sessions and the previous closure of the Prisma Health clinical learning environment.
- space and availability of rotations at Prisma Health,
- specific Prisma Health M4 program requirements in terms of Step 1 scores, pre-requisites, essays, etc.,
- whether a student has had an opportunity to rotate in that specialty of interest at their home institution,
- whether a student has an available residency program in that specialty of interest at their home institution,
- whether a student has had previous rotations or future approved rotations in that specialty of interest,
- IN ADDITION, we will consider the request if this is a required away rotation by the student’s home institution.
For previous applicants, the Clerkship Coordinators will reach out to applicants directly with a document to answer the following questions. For new applicants, this document will be a required field in VSAS for upload.
- Are there fourth year rotations in this specialty of interest at your home institution?
- Are there residency programs in this specialty of interest at your home institution?
- Is this requested rotation at Prisma Health a required away rotation at your home institution?
- If required, what is the requirement it fulfills at your institution?
- Prisma Health–Upstate only accepts fourth-year visiting medical students from U.S. medical schools fully accredited by the LCME or COCA on a space-available basis.
- Prisma Health–Upstate does not accept any external third-year medical students for electives or core rotations.
- Visiting students must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing as a candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree at their home institution and must have completed all required core rotations prior to initiating elective work at Prisma Health–Upstate.
- Prisma Health–Upstate does not accept medical students enrolled in international medical schools.
2020-2021 Rotation Dates
Electives are offered on the following rotation dates depending on availability. Most electives are 4 weeks in duration, but Family Medicine and Psychiatry will offer some 2 week rotations within the blocks below. Prisma Health–Upstate/UofSC School of Medicine Greenville does NOT allow off-cycle rotations – there are ZERO exceptions.
- May 11 – June 5, 2020 (canceled due to COVID-19)
- June 8 – July 3, 2020 (canceled due to COVID-19)
- July 6 – July 31, 2020
- August 3 – August 28, 2020
- August 31 – September 25, 2020
- September 28 – October 23, 2020
- October 26 – November 20, 2020
- November 23 – December 18, 2020
- January 4 – January 29, 2021
Visiting Student Responsibilities
- Visiting students are responsible for their own personal health care costs and health insurance coverage.
- Visiting students are responsible for their own meals.
- Parking is provided.
- Scrubs are provided.
- Visiting students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements. Often, students are able to find short-term options at https://rotatingroom.com/ or https://www.hawthorneatthecarlyle.com/, but we encourage you to explore all options available.
- Visiting students who are unable to attend an approved elective are responsible for notifying Prisma Health–Upstate Student Affairs Administration and the clerkship coordinator regarding cancellation at least six weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
- Upon elective acceptance, additional information will be emailed to you regarding student orientation and clearance.