All applications will be reviewed in VSAS by Prisma Health’s Student Affairs Administration and forwarded to the appropriate department for review. When a decision is made by the department, the student will be notified.
- space and availability of rotations at Prisma Health,
- specific Prisma Health M4 program requirements in terms of Step 1 scores, pre-requisites, essays, etc.,
- whether a student has had an opportunity to rotate in that specialty of interest at their home institution,
- whether a student has an available residency program in that specialty of interest at their home institution,
- whether a student has had previous rotations or future approved rotations in that specialty of interest,
- IN ADDITION, we will consider the request if this is a required away rotation by the student’s home institution.
For previous applicants, the Clerkship Coordinators will reach out to applicants directly with a document to answer the following questions. For new applicants, this document will be a required field in VSAS for upload.
- Are there fourth year rotations in this specialty of interest at your home institution?
- Are there residency programs in this specialty of interest at your home institution?
- Is this requested rotation at Prisma Health a required away rotation at your home institution?
- If required, what is the requirement it fulfills at your institution?
- Completion of all application fields in VSAS plus the department-specific requirements for specific rotations of applicant’s interest.
- Background check must be approved in VSAS by home institution.
- Insurance requirements: $300,000/$600,000 per occurrence, no aggregate
- AAMC Standardized Immunization Form – Need dates of the following vaccinations or titers:
- MMR – 2 vaccinations or positive titers
- Varicella – 2 vaccinations or positive titer
- Hep B – 3 vaccinations or positive titer
- PPD test – annual/2-step TB PPD, QuantiFERON® or T-spot test. If TB test is positive, a chest x-ray within 6 months will be required.
- Flu Shot – only during flu season (October – April)
- After acceptance, a processing fee of $175 is required of each visiting medical student.
- The processing fee will not be refunded for cancellation.
- This fee must be paid by check made out to “Prisma Health” and mailed to:
- Student Affairs Administration
Attn: Susan Orr
605 Grove Rd., Suite C402
Greenville, SC 29605
- Student Affairs Administration
- After acceptance, visiting medical students will be required to complete orientation modules on Learning Hub.
- If there is not one already on file, Student Affairs Administration will request a signed AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Affiliation Agreement Implementation Letter from the accepted visiting medical student.
Department-Specific Application Requirements
Note: A USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX score report is required for ALL departments. See department preferences below.
- USMLE Step 1 or Step 2: No minimum
- COMLEX: Not accepted
- Letter of Intent: Why do you want to rotate with us? (No greater than 300 words.) This is not a “personal statement” of why you want to go into EM such that you would include with a residency application. Instead, this should articulate the reason(s) why you want to be here at Prisma Health–Upstate (formerly GHS).
- USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX: No minimum
- Personal Statement: Why are you interested in completing a Family Medicine rotation with Prisma Health–Upstate (formerly GHS), and what do you hope to learn from this experience?
- We strongly encourage all applicants to take USMLE Step 1.
- USMLE Step 1: Minimum of 220 or COMLEX: Minimum of 550
- Personal Statement: Why Prisma Health–Upstate (formerly GHS)? Why Internal Medicine?(Typically one page; minimum 2 paragraphs)
At this time, Pediatrics is still planning to accommodate visiting students for this coming year, and we look forward to hosting interested applicants. Final decisions and offers for rotations will not be completed until our own students have finished their lottery selections. Our UofSCSOMG student lottery has been delayed due to the temporary suspension of their clinical rotations. You are welcome to submit your application now for consideration or to email Amanda.Hartke@prismahealth.org with a statement of interest and you will receive an email when we have an updated date of when we will begin processing applications.
- USMLE Step 1: Minimum of 210 or COMLEX: Minimum of 550
- Applicants with scores below these minimums may be considered on an individual basis. In addition to applying in VSAS, please email Dr. Amanda Hartke, Amanda.Hartke@prismahealth.org, with a statement of your interest.
- Personal Statement: Why do you want a specific rotation? Why Prisma Health–Upstate (formerly GHS)? Why that experience/specialty? (One to two paragraphs)
- For those students interested in PICU rotations, please submit performance on prior inpatient experience.
- Please indicate if you are pursuing combined Medicine-Pediatrics Residency.
- USMLE Step 1: Minimum of 200 or COMLEX: Minimum of 540
- Personal Statement: Why you want a specific rotation? Why Prisma Health–Upstate (formerly GHS)? Why that experience/specialty? (One to two paragraphs)
- Completion of M3 Psychiatry core clerkship
- USMLE Step 1: Minimum of 220 or COMLEX: Minimum of 600
- Detailed description of your M3 clerkship experience in Obstetrics and Gynecology, addressing each of the following:
- Location of clerkship
- Duration of clerkship
- Clerkship setting (community preceptor vs. teaching hospital with residency)
- Content of required formal lecture curriculum
- Distribution of time spent with residents vs. preceptors
- Type of end-of-clerkship assessments for grading.
- USMLE Step 1: Minimum of 240
- COMLEX: Not accepted
- Personal Statement: Why are you interested in rotating in Orthopedics at Prisma Health–Upstate (formerly GHS) in Greenville?
Due to COVID-19, the Department of Surgery is unable to accept visiting students this year. Its electives are cancelled.
- USMLE Step 1: Minimum of 230 or COMLEX: Minimum of 600
- Personal statement: Why surgery and why Prisma Health–Upstate (formerly GHS)? (one paragraph)
- Completion and pass of M3 surgery clerkship