1912: Greenville City Hospital and School of Nursing open
1926: Greenville hosts first medical interns
1940s: Collaboration begins between Furman University and our School of Nursing
1961: Dr. Raymond C. Ramage named first Director of Medical Education in Greenville
1983: University of South Carolina and GHS affiliation agreement established
1990: Clemson University and GHS research and education agreement signed
1991: USC third- and fourth-year medical students begin full-time training at GHS
2000: First sub-specialty fellowship at GHS
2009: Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program announced
2011: USC School of Medicine Greenville achieves LCME preliminary accreditation
2011: First full-time SC School of Pharmacy class at GHS
2012: USC School of Medicine Greenville’s charter class
2013: Legacy of education and research continues with GHS through formal partnerships with Clemson University, Furman University and University of South Carolina
2014: GHS Clinical University is established and used as an umbrella for the innovative teaching, workforce development, research and entrepreneurial activities conducted with academic partners
2016: USC School of Medicine Greenville’s charter class graduates 2017-Collaboration with Clemson University School of Nursing announced.
2017: GHS Clinical University changes to the Health Sciences Center (The term “clinical university model” is still in use to describe the clinical research and education occurring in partnership with Clemson, Furman and USC.)
On January 10, 1912, Greenville opened City Hospital — the beginning of Greenville Health System. Three days later, the City Hospital Training School for Nurses was founded and accepted its first student, setting the course for an emphasis on clinical training and education that has now been integral to fulfilling our mission for more than a century.In July 2011, the Board of Trustees of Greenville Health System (GHS) recommended that senior leadership draft a strategic plan to better direct education and research at GHS. The strategic plan was to be conducted by the newly formed GHS Academic Transformation Council and include input from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). After receiving this charge, the council believed that in the wake of receiving preliminary accreditation by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education for the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville, a self-study of the entire academic enterprise at GHS was warranted. At issue was whether the GHS academic campus should pursue becoming an academic health center.
The GHS Academic Transformation Council, with help from more than 100 physicians, administrators, scholars, and others, conducted an intense, institution-wide study of GHS’ educational and research offerings and leadership curriculum.
The study confirmed that GHS is a prolific provider of clinical education, serving as the primary source of clinical education for schools in South Carolina’s Upstate. Each year, some 5,000 students receive more than one million contact hours of clinical education, the equivalent of 25,000 academic credit hours. The study also found GHS had nearly 80 affiliation agreements involving 124 program areas representing universities and colleges from 24 states, including 21 institutions of higher learning in South Carolina.
The GHS Academic Transformation Council also conducted a thorough review of GHS’ research offerings since 1990. Areas of particular strength include clinical research performed and published by faculty and sponsored clinical trials. Each year faculty publish more than 130 peer-reviewed publications and present over 250 regionally and nationally peer-reviewed presentations. In 2012, there were more than 659 Institutional Review Board approved clinical trials performed on GHS campuses. Presently, GHS holds full accreditation from the Association of Accreditation of Human Research Protection Program.
Other research strengths noted included the establishment of the USC School of Medicine Greenville on the Greenville Memorial Medical Campus, the Institute for the Advancement of Health Care (IAHC) created by GHS and USC to support health services research, and the two-decades-long research relationship with Clemson University. The collaboration with Clemson led, in part, to the establishment of the Institute of Translational Oncology Research (ITOR) and the Clemson University Biomedical Engineering Innovation Campus (CUBEInC).
Based on the results of this exhaustive self-study, the GHS Academic Transformation Council recommended that GHS pursue a novel variation of an academic health center: the Health Sciences Center. The Health Sciences Center would include GHS’ traditional academic partners and bring new value to all in the form of a shared vision, a more structured organization and a strategy around innovation in teaching, workforce development, research and entrepreneurial activities. This recommendation was well received by the GHS Board of Trustees and other key stakeholders.
GHS is the only academic health center of its kind in the world. Like an academic health center, it is comprised of an integrated healthcare delivery system and partners with multiple affiliate universities and degree-granting academic institutions to address the health concerns, workforce needs, and healthcare delivery gaps of a defined region and population. As an academic health center, GHS also includes a medical school, University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville, other health professions programs and a robust research agenda.
Where GHS differs from a traditional academic health center is that it leverages the existing competencies and resources of its partners, rather than duplicating costly infrastructure, to meet shared objectives. Additionally, GHS does not grant degrees, but works collaboratively with its academic partners to bring more value to students, employers and the community.
GHS is a transformative organization in the process of redefining academic, workforce, and research enterprises to ensure a common vision, sustainability, and results that support the mission to heal compassionately, teach innovatively and improve constantly.