Thank you for your interest in the Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program here at Greenville Health System (GHS). The Orthopaedic Surgery program is a fully accredited ACGME program that accepts four categorical residents per year. Our three major strengths include our residents, our staff and our location.
We have a diverse group of residents that hail from all four corners of the United States that have interesting life stories that have taken many of them off of the beaten path into business startups, wildlife adventures and cross-country bike rides before starting their residency careers.
They have developed a palpably strong family nature that is easily evident to all. If they choose to continue their postgraduate education, we place our residents into the finest fellowships in the country. We also are proud to be one of the few programs that continue to train residents that are comfortable enough to pursue private practice without a fellowship.
The second strength is our staff. We offer board-certified staff in all of the subspecialties of orthopaedic surgery right here at GHS. With nearly 30 operative orthopaedic and neurosurgeons involved with our resident education, we have struck the perfect balance of academic subspecialists and the community generalist. Our staff benefits include:
- Relationships with the Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas and Blue Ridge Orthopaedics allows:
- Routine exposures of our residents
- Operative cases that range complex reverse shoulder arthroplasty to orthopaedic oncology
- Includes coverage of a major division I collegiate program.
- Wide breadth of surgical cases and the volumes of these cases place our graduates among the nation’s most experienced residents after their five years here in Greenville.
- Our staff is integral to the didactic lecture series boasting national lecturers right here at GHS.
- Our attending staff has been known to spearhead some of the department fun and camaraderie including:
- Outings to our regional lakes
- Events at our region’s award winning golf courses
- Dining at some of the finest restaurants around
The last strength of the program is the city of Greenville itself. Tucked away in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Greenville has been called:
- Number-one “North American City of the Future, 2009,” by The Financial Times’
- Rated amongst the top 15 cities on Forbes Magazine Top 15 Best Cities for Young Professionals in 2011
- Recognized as one of the 10 fastest growing cities on CNNMoney’s 2012 list
- One of the nation’s best cities in Outside Magazine’s 2013 list.
Here, residents enjoy buying their own homes, short travel times to mountains, foothills, the beach and four distinct seasons.
We hope that we have piqued your interest in our program and that you will come to explore what we have to offer.
Thomas M. Schaller, MD
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program