The Greenville Health System (GHS)/University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville Program offers four first year Categorical positions in psychiatry. The program participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) psychiatry match and will complete interviews prior to the deadline for submission of the rank order list.
- Applications for PGY-1 positions are only accepted through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System).
- Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as interview slots are limited.
- We do not have any particular USMLE score at which we do/do not grant an interview.
- Scores and number of attempts are taken into account as we evaluate the totality of the application.
- International Medical Graduates are welcome to apply.
- US clinical experience is preferred.
- Fluency in written and oral English is a requirement.
- GHS sponsors J-1 visas only.
- Letters of recommendation from US physicians are strongly preferred.
- Preference is given to applicants who have graduated medical school or have been in training elsewhere within the past three years.
- Provide a transcript from their medical school, a dean’s letter and two letters of reference, at least one of which should be from a psychiatrist.
- All applicants should have completed USMLE Step 1 and USMLE Step 2 CK & CS. No specific numerical scores are required.
- For osteopathic medical school applicants, we require a COMLEX.
We enjoy meeting prospective residents and upon receipt of the above material, selected applicants will be requested to arrange a mutually convenient weekday for interviews. Final acceptance to the program is at the discretion of the chairman of the department and the director of residency training, upon the advice of the residency advisory committee.
Initial appointment to the program is for one year and reappointment for each subsequent year is based on the resident’s performance.
Notification of Successful Applicants
All interviewed candidates are reviewed by the Resident Selection Committee to complete the rank order list that is submitted to the NRMP. Successful applicants will be notified by NRMP match results, followed by a letter from the program.
Fellow and Residency Electronic Interactive Database (FREIDA)
The Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS): ERAS Help Line: (202) 828-0413
United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE): (215) 590-9500
The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP): (866) 617-5838
National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME): (773) 714-0622
Psychiatry Residency Program Coordinator, Psychiatry Education
701 Grove Rd
Greenville, SC 29605