Autism impacts the development of the brain in the areas of social interaction and communication skills. Autism can have some potential impacts on a person’s behavior and social skills. Greenville Health System (GHS) is committed to research and treatment of autism.
- Difficulty communicating with others
- May experience aggressive or self-injurious behavior
- Restrictive and repetitive movements
- Resistance to change in routine may also be experienced
- Some children with autism can lose social skills they had previously demonstrated
There are a limited number of clinicians in South Carolina who are specifically trained to treat persons with autism and funding to pay for treatment is extremely limited. Furthermore, there is no single effective approach and treatment for those affected. Often, parents of autistic children don’t know who to call for help or face financial barriers once the system is navigated.
- High prevalence
- Low number of trained providers
- An absence of funding
- Developing a systematic approach to diagnosis
- Defining the best approaches to treatment
- Establishing a research program to understand the causes of autism