Clinical trials are offered to individuals with a wide range of conditions and illnesses. The goal of our Clinical Trials program is to help participants and future patients. If you choose to participate in one of our clinical trials, know that you will be under the gentle care of our clinical trial nurse manager, research nurses and other professional research staff. We currently provide clinical trials for drug, device or observational studies.
Things to consider
- Clinical trials offer patients access to drugs/therapies that would not be available otherwise.
- You will continue to see your primary care physician as usual throughout your participation, thus a clinical trial may provide you with additional monitoring of your condition.
- Nearly 90 percent of eligible pediatric cancer patients enter clinical trials, resulting in an overall cure rate for childhood cancer that exceeds 75 percent.
- You must complete an informed consent form to participate in our clinical trials. Studies are completely voluntary and you can discontinue a study at any time.
- Medical costs related to your routine clinical care during your participation in a clinical trial may still be your responsibility. Learn more »
Resources and links
The Clinical Trials department provides project management and centralized budget, planning, and contract processes. Our clinical research professionals provide seamless scheduling, case report form completion, and submissions to the local Institutional Review Board (IRB). The Clinical Trials department provides services ranging from multi-center study coordination to assistance with setting up data management systems and patient recruitment.
Our association with the University of South Carolina School of Medicine means that much of our investigator base consists of physicians who have clinical research experience. Along with the medical school faculty, we have a close association with physicians in private practice and hospitalists. We currently are accruing subjects for industry-sponsored, government-funded, as well as locally developed and funded clinical research projects.
Areas of expertise
- Emergency medicine/trauma
- Adult citical care
- Pediatric hematology and oncology
- Infectious diseases
- Disease prevention
- Medical record reviews
- More than 85 percent of our eligible Clinical Trial team members have obtained and maintained globally recognized research certification through the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) and/or the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SoCRA).
Our Clinical Trials team works side-by-side with other Prisma Health research and ancillary departments that provide added services and expertise including:
- Grants/contracts professionals
- Business/budget analysts
- Research monitors
- Human research protection managers
- Medical director/biostatisticians
- Research pharmacists
- Academic Programs
- Resources & Support
- Research Offices
- Resources & Support
- News & Education
- GHS Proceedings
- Healthcare Services
- Cancer Institute
- Heart & Vascular Institute
- Children’s Hospital
- Specialty Medicine
- Primary Care
- Neuroscience Institute
- Women’s Health
- Contact Us