Principal Investigators (PI) must constantly monitor expenditures for grants and contracts to ensure that all expenditures comply with the terms outlined in the approved agreements. Project cost management practices are dictated by the specific terms of the signed agreement.
Post-Award Grant Management expedites invoices to program sponsors for cost reimbursement and monitors the accounts receivable to facilitate prompt payment by sponsors. All invoices for sponsored programs must be processed through the OSP office unless the department has obtained approval and training.
Most of Greenville Health System (GHS) projects are performed on a cost reimbursable (“best effort”) basis. GHS is generally liable to perform its “best effort” up to the cost level in the contract. The funds are not received at the beginning of the project. The projects are billed after the expenditures occur.
- Some sponsors require additional documentation to support invoices.
- When such supporting documentation is required, it should be submitted to OSP by the 15th of each month if it is to be included in the previous month’s invoice to the sponsor.
- Invoices are issued monthly, quarterly or at times designated in the agreement.
If direct costs are overspent, the department is contacted and instructed on the necessary corrections. Invoices for these projects cannot be generated until corrections are processed and appear on the current Grant Activity Report. Corrections should be processed immediately.
- Project payments received by individuals or departments should be processed through OSP.
- Do not mail checks in interoffice mail.
- Checks should be hand delivered to OSP.
- The individual should endorse all checks made payable to individuals.
- Checks should be processed immediately and should not be held.
The OSP determines the course of action for collections for past due requests for payment. Collection actions are conducted in accordance with the project agreement and are dependent on the sponsor (customer) and previous payment history. Collections proceed as follows:
- Post award grant management will analyze all outstanding invoices after 30 days.
- After 60 days, the sponsor will be contacted by telephone and/or past-due reminder letter.
- The department that has incurred charges will be notified of non-payment at the discretion of the OSP staff.
- After 90 days, OSP will send a second past-due letter, notify the department and advise the PI to stop work on the project.
- OSP will continue to coordinate with the department, PI and the sponsor for past-due payments.
- After 180 days, OSP will notify the executive director of finance and administration for the Health Sciences Center.
- If deemed uncollectible, corrections will be required in coordination with OSP.